What is Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Marsha Gorens, M.D. offers Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy programs to men and women that are suffering from hormonal decline and imbalances in the Chicago and Cook County Illinois areas. Hormones are important for the physical performance, vitality, and general wellbeing of humans. In fact, the memory, immune system, and the entire body are only able to function correctly if hormone levels are balanced. As aging occurs, organs and endocrine glands become less efficient, and natural hormone production is impaired by poor diet, busy lifestyles, and stress. Unfortunately, chronic hormone deficiencies may result in many different physical problems. For patients dealing with hormonal imbalances, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy may provide an excellent treatment option.
What are Bioidentical Hormones?
Bioidentical Hormones are an exact chemical match to the hormones naturally made in the human body. Some forms of synthetic hormones are manufactured by pharmaceutical companies and can be ineffective or cause side effects. Bioidentical Hormones are prepared by compounding pharmacists and are unique to each patient, designed to be a custom match for the patient’s individual conditions.
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy involves the therapeutic use of hormones that are chemically and biologically identical to hormones the body naturally makes. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapies include replacing progesterone, testosterone, and estrogens, as well as cortisol, and thyroid hormones.
The hormones used in Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy feature a molecular structure that is identical to that of human hormones, and they are not synthesized or extracted from animal sources. Many of these hormones are made from plants such as wild yams and soybeans, which have unique compounds that are chemically processed and made into replicas that are identical to the hormones produced in the body. The benefit of this therapy is that the body is given the same molecule that it has made naturally for years, instead of giving it something from animal urine or an unnatural substance.
The Uses of Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy is used to help rebalance hormones and eliminate problems with a hormone deficiency. Both men and women can benefit from this therapy.
Bioidentical Hormones are often used in women to:
- Improve weight loss results, particularly in older women, since hormonal imbalances and related symptoms often make it difficult for older women to lose weight
- Help improve the look and feel of nails and hair, strengthening hair and nails in women who have had issues due to hormonal imbalances
- Reduce problems with acne and other skin problems that occur as a result of a hormone imbalance of deficiency, which often occurs at the time of menses
- Decrease anxiety, stress, and depression
- Improve libido and interest in intimacy in women who have had a decline in their sex drive
- Reduce the risk of certain diseases that come with aging, such as osteoporosis, if the issue was caused by an underlying hormonal imbalance
- Reduce problems with irritability and mood swings in aging women who deal with these problems due to hormonal changes
Bioidentical Hormones are often used in men to:
- Reduce problems with erectile dysfunction, helping to restore libido in men who have hormonal imbalances due to aging
- Decrease depression
- Reduce problems with irritability and mood swings
- Eliminate fatigue and improve energy in men of all ages
- Improve the quality and quantity of sleep
- Increase attention and concentration
Many medical professionals actually feel more comfortable using Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy on patients instead of hormones that are from animal urine or hormones that don’t exist in nature. Since these hormones are carefully prescribed, hormone levels stay within the body’s normal range of hormones, ensuring that side effects are minimal. However, it is always essential to make sure that an experienced, qualified medical professional, such as Marsha Gorens, M.D. prescribes Bioidentical Hormones after determining that a hormonal imbalance or deficiency is present.
As a Chicago Hormone Replacement Therapy Doctor, Marsha Gorens, M.D. has helped countless men and women in the Chicago and Cook County areas to improve their sense of wellbeing and health with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy. To learn more about receiving a customized Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy treatment plan, contact Marsha Gorens, M.D. today to schedule a consultation!